An Era of Augmented Reality Mobile Apps – Different Fields to Apply AR
These days, mobile devices have become a significant tech aspect of businesses. And, there are many enterprises that are looking at exploiting the innovations, features, and functions of smartphones and tablets like recently extolled Augmented Reality (AR). According to Gartner, AR will become an important tool in the workplace as the technology has been advanced and matured as in internal tool to improve enterprise processes and workflows.
What is AR (Augmented Reality)? How is it going to make the world a better place?
Talking about Augmented Reality, it is one such technology, which improves the real world with digital information like GPS data, 3D models, graphics, audio, and other computer-generated sensory inputs by covering them on actual world objects seen through a camera on your smartphone, PC, or connected glasses. In short, we can say that augmented reality is a bridge that connects real and virtual realms, helping people to understand the real world across them. Presently, augmented reality is connected with Google Glass and many other smart wearable devices that are obtainable as the next form of business technology. Now even, tablets with bigger screens provide the same AR technology. Along with it, mobile app development companies are also trying their hands on this technology and developing some of the wonderful AR based apps.
Augmented Reality Usage
With the constant increase in the demand of augmented reality, various industries have started using the technology in order to boost their mobile processes. You can also see a lot of educational applications that are using this technology so that they can help the students in learning and make the learning process more interactive.
Currently, augmented reality uses in different services like:
● Online Shopping
● Virtual Reality Games
● Map Services
● Scientific-based Apps
● Digital Museum Tour
● Map Services
Two Different Ways to “Augment” Reality
● Marker-based AR: This type of AR makes use of black and white markers that serve as activators for more information when a camera is pointed at an object. These markers are pictures like QR or 2D codes, containing huge information and prompt some action when they are sensed by software.
● Sensor-based AR: When it comes to talking about the second type of AR, it doesn’t need any black and white markers. Instead, this type of sensor-based augmented reality makes use of the Internet, Cameras, and a set of optical and other sensors like compasses, accelerometers, GPS, and gyroscopes.
Benefits of Augmented Reality
● Today, Augmented Reality is all set to transform the mobile user experience as gesture and touch did in mobile phones. It will redefine the mobile userexperience for the next generation, allowing mobile search invisible and reduce search effort for users.
● It will also boost mobile usability by acting as the interface, needful little interaction. You just imagine turning on your phone or pressing a button, where the people, space, and objects across you are sensed by your mobile device.
● It also has an ability to go viral and compete with engaging marketing content of competitors.
● Give high-tech and highly efficient training to employees through AR wearable devices and measure everything.
● AR like the multi-modal interaction that has a very long history of usability research, experimentation, and analysis; therefore, it has an effective history as an interface technique.
Different Fields to Apply Augment Reality
Now, the retail industry has got huge help in solving numerous problems that are related to selling physical merchandise. Augmented reality helps various retail companies like Ikea and LEGO that are already making use of this high-end technology to the fullest.
When it comes to IKEA, the brand has its own AR Ikea application that allows you to visualize any piece of furniture right in your own apartment. In addition to this, the app will also measure the size of a product against the objects that are surrounded it to deliver as realistic experience.
Travel & Tourism
Do you know that travel and tourism industry is already using AR technology? Now, it becomes easily possible to point your device at any building and know complete information about it like when it was developed and who lived there. All these become possible just because of augmented reality.
Niantic offers one powerful application that powered by augmented reality and the application is only about traveling and exploring the world around you. Field Trip is one such application that is exclusively launched for android users, allowing them to learn about anything from a local building’s history to the most beautiful places to simple store.
Grooming & Beauty
Have you noticed that Augmented Reality affected the beauty industry hugely? Some of the beauty applications have proved it. Let’s take one example, Makeup Genius by L’Oreal make use of AR technology so that it helps you to find out perfect makeup for your face.
Provide a complete range of looks that you can try on as you just need to hold your phone like a mirror – from daily, natural skin-tone makeups to bright and extraordinary ones. Along with it, the application also allows you to purchase required L’Oreal products by which you can get a look that you have seen in the app. Because of its enormous features and capabilities, the app wins the 2016 GLOMO Awards.
Augmented Reality has also revolutionized the education industry. By integrating AR into your lectures, you can easily get the attention of your audience. For example, any teacher in dentistry integrated Augment into his lessons so that he can show 3D models of teeth and how the human jaw works.
Moreover, AR-based education application allows the audience to participate. Students will be capable of accessing models on their own devices. It will be easy for students to get a wonderful understanding of concepts. It will be completely new and fun way to engage students and emphasize concepts that they have already seen while class lectures.
So, these are some of the different fields, where augmented reality technology can be implemented easily. Marker-based and sensor-based AR both are beneficial for developing different mobile applications.
About Author: Sohel Ather is content marketing officer at SpaceOtechnologies.com; And He regularly writes about the innovative mobile app Development and technology which improves our lives and our plate.